First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Copyright © 2017 First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of DeLand

About Us.

We are a church with rich history                                 

of 135 years.

First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in DeLand, Florida was founded in 1883, the same year that the town of DeLand became incorporated.  The original building was built on the corner of North Woodland Blvd. and Wisconsin Avenue with a raised platform that would allow easy access for getting on and off of horse- drawn carriages.  The new downtown community was served well by this early church, especially Stetson University that was founded in the same year by John B. Stetson and Henry A. DeLand, the man the town is named for. In the early 1970’s, as the building aged and the growth trend was scheduled to move westward away from town, a new sanctuary and offices were built on our current site at 1401 W. New York Avenue.  In the 1990’s, an extension of the building was completed to add educational rooms for Sunday School and community organizations who wanted to meet there.  Our current Fellowship Hall was added later as a much needed addition to house events such as fellowship dinners, rummage sales for different causes, wedding and funeral gatherings and bigger facility use for larger groups.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
© First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in DeLand, FL
Made with Xara

About Us.

We are a church with rich

history                                  of

135 years.

First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in DeLand, Florida was founded in 1883, the same year that the town of DeLand became incorporated.  The original building was built on the corner of North Woodland Blvd. and Wisconsin Avenue with a raised platform that would allow easy access for getting on and off of horse-drawn carriages.  The new downtown community was served well by this early church, especially Stetson University that was founded in the same year by John B. Stetson and Henry A. DeLand, the man the town is named for. In the early 1970’s, as the building aged and the growth trend was scheduled to move westward away from town, a new sanctuary and offices were built on our current site at 1401 W. New York Avenue.  In the 1990’s, an extension of the building was completed to add educational rooms for Sunday School and community organizations who wanted to meet there.  Our current Fellowship Hall was added later as a much needed addition to house events such as fellowship dinners, rummage sales for different causes, wedding and funeral gatherings and bigger facility use for larger groups.