First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
TEN REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BE GOING TO CHURCH
Why should you enter through the doors of a church? There are many good
answers to that question. Here are words provided by Molly Philley Baskette in her
book: “Real Good Church”, The Pilgrim Press, 2014, (Loc 190 of e-book)
10. Coming to church doesn’t mean you have no doubts about God or faith or
religion. It means you have a place you can share with people who have their own
9. Bad stuff is going to happen in your life. It just is. A church community cannot be
everything to everyone in times of crisis, but when the bottom falls out of your world,
it’s great to have a community to lift you back up.
8. Bad stuff is going to happen in your life, part two. The time to build a relationship
with God is not when life turns ugly, and you’ve run out of all other options.
Attending worship regularly helps build a relationship with God and others that will
give you a solid foundation when the winds blow and the storms come.
7. Not all churches are anti-something. Most of us are for people, for acceptance,
for hospitality. Really, we’re out there. We just don’t get the good press.
6. Any church worth its salt has really good food on a regular basis.
5. Churches offer paint-by-number opportunities to serve. Many people would like
to help the poor, the hungry, and the homeless, but they don’t know how to get
involved, how to make the time to be involved, or what they can do to really make a
difference. Churches offer you ways to plug in to help those who need it most.
4. You’ve got a gift. Probably 2 or 10 of them! Becoming involved in the ministry of
a church will help you discover and use gifts you never even knew you had.
3. Not all churches are after your money. Good churches want you to have a
healthy relationship with money. Sure, churches need to pay the electric bill and the
pastor and the youth director, but money and the church is more about you than it is
about the church. It’s about your own relationship with money. World events have
proven that it’s much better to put faith in God than in a bank account. Church can
help you with that.
2. Taking a break from our hectic lives to come to church is accepting the gift of
Sabbath. Wayne Mueller says “[Sabbath] dissolves the artificial urgency of our days,
because it liberates us form the need to be finished.” We don’t take Sabbath and
come to worship because we have time and have finished up everything that needs
to be done. We take Sabbath because it is time to stop, and we are designed to
stop, rest and reflect. Those who don’t are destined to crash and burn.
1. Jesus is really cool. Even if you don’t know if you can believe in the whole
Son-of-God thing, even if you refer to the resurrection as the Zombie Jesus event
and even though those of us already in church often do a lousy job of following him,
come to church to get to know Jesus. The more you get to know him, the more you’ll
understand why people call his way The Way.
These suggestions are only that: “suggestions”! You have your own reasons
to become engaged within a spiritual community! Be sure and let us know what
reasons God has for you!!
Copyright © 2017 First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of DeLand